Our History

Old Ashley ChapelAshley Baptist Church was founded in 1848 by pioneers carving their homesteads out the unsettled wilderness of West Michigan.  Members met in a log cabin that also served as the community school house.  Although much has changed over the years, Ashley Baptist Church is still doing what it was founded to do – honor God by meeting people’s spiritual needs through the teaching and the preaching of the Bible.

Historical Timeline

1848 – Members originally formed what was then called the First Baptist Church of Oakfield Township. 

1863 – During the dark days of the Civil War, a chapel was erected on 10 Mile Road.

1956 – The church’s name was changed to Ashley Baptist Church in tribute to one of the church’s founding members.

1974 – By congregational vote, the church became independent of any denominational association.

1994 – While ministering as an evangelist, Dr. Oliver followed the Lord’s leading and became the senior pastor. 

1998 – The church joined the Independent Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of Michigan.

2003 – After two years, construction on the current facility on M-44 was completed.

2013 – Called our current associate pastor, Pastor Gib Brown.

2014 – Construction on the fellowship hall was completed.

Click here to read an article from From the Pastor’s Study to learn more of the church’s history.